Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Working for Yahoo, Part XIII

Yep, still a bad blogger.  Sorry about that.

I did manage to put together a guide page to my Western Civil War series.  It seems that the Yahoo pay scale is by length, because the guide is the longest thing I've written for them, and they paid me $3 up front, rather than the usual $2.  So that's something.

But not enough.

At this point, I've made around $26 writing for Yahoo, which has all been from upfront bonuses.  I've achieved 850 or so clicks, so I may eventually make it to my first 1,000, at which point Yahoo will generously give me...another $1.50.

So yeah, the Yahoo thing isn't working out.  But hey, I did complete the Western Civil War series, so that's something at least.

The big question is, of course, what next?

It might be time to start getting serious about writing a novel.  Let's see if we can make that happen.

(Yeah, I know, doomed.  But what do I have to lose at this point?  And when will I have a better chance?)

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps writing on a different topic might be worth an experiment? Something a little more current?

    (Movie reviews? Game reviews? Tactics and stragegy's for making broken 4E characters?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is figuring out what Yahoo is willing to pay the upfront for, because nothing I've written so far has gotten more than 135 clicks, so all the money I've gotten is from the up fronts.

    And the one that has the most clicks is the Movie Theater review that they refused to pay upfront for.

    Meanwhile, the review of that little murder mystery musical I went to last month? That they DID pay the upfront for and has exactly 0 clicks.

    And then there was my Lord of Ultima review which they wouldn't pay the upfront on and only has 61 clicks. That one I really expected to do better on, but apparently not.

    The big problem, though, is the paltry pay scale. $1.50 = 1,000 clicks means that even if something is a hundred times as successful as my most successful article so far and scores 15,000 clicks, that's only $22.50. And I have a hard time justifying putting in too much more effort for Yahoo for that kind of money.

    On the other hand, there's really no reason not to re-publish some of my blog posts from After Hours. And it being the end of June means I need to get another one of my bi-annual up-coming games posts, so I could dual post that too.

    Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure the math just doesn't work for working for Yahoo.

    ReplyDelete