Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Working for Yahoo, Part XI

So, I got my first couple of rejections from Yahoo.  To be precise, they turned down two of my Civil War articles saying that I need to cite my sources.  Which is odd, because they didn't ask for that on the first four articles in the series...and they didn't ask for that in four more they published in the same series that had been submitted after the two that got refused!

Puzzling, to say the least.

I can only hypothesize that Yahoo has a ton of different editors, and that the two articles that I submitted on the 20th that got rejected went to one who's more of a stickler for the rules than the one who got the four I submitted on the 23rd.

Nevertheless, one of the rules for being a good writer is "Give the client what they want."  So, tempting as it might be to revise one and re-submit the other unamended to see what happens, I shall swallow both pride and curiosity both and do as I am bid.  That's the job.

In other news, as I mentioned, I have a bunch of new articles up.  Starting off with four new Civil War articles here:

Tupelo
Stones River
Kennesaw Mountain
Brice's Crossroads

What's interesting about these is that they're the first battlefields in the series, well except for Fort Donelson which was the last stop on my trip last March, that I haven't actually visited.  I'm basically just summarizing what I know about the battles, backed up by Shelby Foote and Wikipedia, and pulling relevant travel details from National Parks sites.

Why yes, I do feel like a contributing member of society, why do you ask?

The thing of it is, most people interested in going to these battlefields are almost certainly ending up somewhere else other than Yahoo for that information.  But if Yahoo is willing to pay me to mold that content into a few hundred words on their site, who am I to argue?  I'm not copy and pasting, and you'd have to go to two separate sites to get both the history of the battle and the travel information, so the pages I'm writing are more efficient, if nothing else.

Finally, I also have a review up of Murder for Two, a cute hour and a half long musical about a murder with fifteen characters and only two cast members.

Yes, I actually went and saw it, just over a week ago, in fact.

You can give it a glance here.

No comments:

Post a Comment