Thursday, April 28, 2011

"Here Comes Louie!" - Writer's Notes

Something else I'd like to do here on Tales is to putout some Writer's Notes about the various articles and stories I get published.  Since "Here Comes Louie!" is my first published (if not submitted) article to the Yahoo Associated Content network, it naturally gets the the first Writer's Note.

Naturally this post will make more sense if you go and read the article first.  (And another page view won't do me any harm.)

Perhaps surprisingly, given the personal nature of what I wrote, this one came pretty easily.  Even though its been twenty years, I can still picture the way the gym looked, the smiles on my family's faces as I approached, and the heat of the air.  I remember being grateful for the lemonade, even as I found it almost sickeningly sweet, and I felt a degree of contentment at having accomplished something significant in my life.  Once I got stated, it was pretty easy to get into a groove and just punch it out.  The Then (Now) structure was one I've seen before, though I don't remember where.  Just another one of those ingredients we pick up as we go, I suppose.

Another thing I can't remember, is my fellow graduates.  Most of my closest friends from high school were either in the band, carry overs from my years at St. Raymond's, or in the Loyola gamer community, and most of those were in other classes.  Ryan had transferred to a different school after our freshman year, Steve and Powell had graduated the year before, while Luke and Drew were sweating it out in the balcony with the rest of the band.  Really, the only members of the Class of '91 I do remember are Tom Carney, another band friend, and Alec Gorecki, who I'd played endless games of chess with while we skipped out of our useless FORTRAN class together.

The other thing that those memories make me wonder is the obvious:  Where did the years go?  I can't believe it's been twenty years already.  How can two decades go by so quickly?  It's just a little baffling.

No comments:

Post a Comment