Friday, April 22, 2011

A look back...

I've always dabbled in writing. Like most writers, I'm an avid reader, and that reading led me to try to write now and again. In college, for instance, I wrote a series of short stories, then accidentally formatted the disk they were on. At various points in my life, I've picked up my pen and tried to put words to paper. Or rather, in this electric age, put keyboard to word processor.

Those times almost always coincided with stress in my life. When I flunked out of the University of Illinois, for one example. When my father was in the hospital for a heart operation for another. When I was happy and content with a reasonable job and things to occupy my free time, on the other hand, my writing output dropped to almost nothing. It seemed as if the creative part of my brain only woke up as an outlet when times were tough for me.

Perhaps this is another one of those times. In July of last year, I lost my job. I'd like to say that I went on a desperation fueled rampage of drinking and hedonism, because that makes for a better story. But the truth of the matter is that I sank into lethargy instead. I lived off my savings, played video games, and watched TV. Occasionally, I picked away at a a novel I've been claiming to write for years, but little real progress was made. Eventually my savings dried up, and I found myself faced with the stark reality that I needed to do something.

Anything.

So I've turned to my longtime hobby, writing. This, then, is my as-it-happens narrative about trying to make money through writing on the internet. There have been fortunes made and lost on the wild wild web, but all I'm looking for is enough for a car payment. Let's see if it can be done, and if so, if I'm one able to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment