Sunday, January 22, 2012

WEP '12, Day 21 - Food, Wine, and Conversation...but Mostly Food

We take a break from the gamer memoirs to talk about the dinner I attended tonight.  We were celebrating my brother's wife's birthday at Roy's in Chicago.  Now I don't go to restaurants like Roy's very often, so I've decided to discuss the food of the place while the memory is still fresh.

Roy's is "Hawaiian Fusion."  Fusion cooking involves blending cooking styles from differing sources.  "Hawaiian Fusion" is mildly ironic since Hawaiian food is already a mix of styles from all over the world, but in fact references the idea of mixing traditional Hawaiian flavors with European style sauces and presentation.

I went with a three course Prix Fixe to try and keep costs down, and the first course was a Duck Confit & Mushroom Flatbread.  Given the expense of the meal, I'd sworn to myself to try at least a little of everything I'd ordered and was pleased to discover that I liked the dish pretty well, even though I normally dislike mushrooms.  The balsamic nitsume was a sweet and slightly tangy sauce that brought the dish together.

The main course was a grilled pork chop with fennel sauerkraut and mustard spatzle.  While the pork chop was excellent, with a smoky flavor and an excellent mustard seed demi-glace, the side dishes didn't do much for me, so I focused mainly on the pork.  That worked pretty well.

The dessert was a chocolate souffle with a marvelous hot chocolate sauce inside and a spoonful of vanilla ice cream on the side and a line of that raspberry sauce that most high end restaurants are serving with choclate desserts.  It's not a bad sauce, but there wasn't enough for the whole dessert, and it was soon lost in the mass of chocolate and vanilla.   I didn't mind, though, since the chocolate and ice cream worked perfectly without the sauce.

All in all it was an awesome, if expensive, meal.  I'm told that that the fish and shellfish were equally good, particularly the Butterfish.  If you're looking for great seafood and good everything else, Roy's is a pretty good choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment