Friday, February 10, 2012

WEP '12, Day 40 - Community

Over the last few weeks or so I've been Netflixing my way through the NBC comedy Community.  And you know what?  I really like it.  It rewards genre saavyness, most of the humor is witty to clever, and they do a nice job making all the characters funny, flawed, and sympathetic.  What's really fun about the show is the way they've established their characters as archetypes, then proceed to dump them into different genres.  So you have the John Hughes episode, the action movie episode, the zombie movie episode, the Apollo 13 episode, and so on.

And of course, there's the Dungeons and Dragons episode that was the introduction to the series for many a gamer.  Having seen the episode blind, and now for a second time after seeing the show from the beginning, I've got to admit that it was funnier the second time.  Knowing the characters makes it much more enjoyable.

Alas, the show may not have much longer to live.  It has disappeared from NBC's schedule halfway through season 3, and even though NBC's president swears the remaining episodes will air someday, he said nothing about it being renewed for a fourth season.  The show, like many I've enjoyed before it, may just be too damn smart for its own good.

I wish I'd gotten around to watching the show earlier, but I console myself with the fact that I'm not a member of a Nielson family means it doesn't matter if I'd watched it or not vis a vis the show's survival.  Which is why, by the way, the Nielsen's suck.  Because whether I watch a show or not has no impact on it's fate.  At least with a movie, I can go a few times and show my support with my money.  But on TV?  It's all about ratings, and you and I don't affect the ratings.  Which sucks.

Because now, rather than being here to tell you to watch a show that I really enjoy, I can only advise you to watch it while you can, because it may not be around much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment