Saturday, October 15, 2011

Write Everyday Project #18, Game Day (Cooking II)

I've got a busy weekend, with a D&D game on Saturday and a Mutants & Masterminds game on Sunday.  Plus, if time allows, I'd like to watch Bear/Vikings Sunday night. Naturally, the thing to do is to make the weekend even busier by cooking for these events.

To that end, I'm going for three recipes.

The first is a Blondie Brownie .  I made these yesterday, with my own custom modifications.  To be precise, I switched the semi-sweet chips for milk chocolate, added more of them (about 1 cup and 1/4, since that finished off the bag) and put on a layer of coconut.  For some reason, maybe because of the thick layer of coconut, it took nearly twice as long as the 25 minutes listed in the recipe to bake properly. 


Though the initial reaction has been positive, and it does taste good, I wonder if I overdid it with the toppings.  It's virtually impossible to taste the vanilla of the blondie beneath all the coconut and chips, which makes putting as much effort as I did into the blondie itself seem kind of pointless.  Still, it's hard to go wrong with toasted coconut and chocolate.  I'll take it to the D&D game today and see what the guys think.

Recipe number two is a chilled Clark Bar.  I played this one mostly straight, though again I only had milk chocolate chips rather than the semi-sweet that the recipe calls for.


This one is surprisingly good.  Its got a nutty flavor without being overpoweringly peanut buttery, and despite the layer of milk chocolate on the top, not too sweet.   Lacking an electric mixer, I had to muscle the main bar ingredients together, but other than that, it's a pretty easy recipe to assemble.  You do need a long lead time, though, since the recipe calls for four hours in the refrigerator.  I put it together yesterday and let it chill overnight before trying it in the morning.

Recipe number three is even simpler.  It's one for Glazed Chicken Wings.  There's nothing to it, just combine three ingredients into a sauce, coat wings, apply heat.  Even my own fledgling cooking skills should be able to handle that!  No picture as yet, since I'm planning on just bringing the material over to my brother's and cooking it on site.  I've had some problems with last minute baking and then trying to transport a hot pan somewhere, and since his oven works about as well as mine, there's no reason not to cook them there.  I'll update the post with a picture and the results once I've cooked them.

UPDATE: They were okay.  I probably should have marinated them last night instead of following the recipe as written, since the flavor was heavy on the skin but nothing much on the meat.  Also, one of the guys said there was too much soy sauce, though it was fine to me and the other guy who ate 'em.  But then, I'm notroious for liking my food over-salted, so it probably is too much soy for general consumption.  Anyway, here's what they looked like:


And here's much (but not all) of the other snacks we had on site for the game:


You know, it's probably best that we only do this every couple of weeks.  Though I do have another game with a different group tomorrow.  Since some of the Clark Bars and Blondies survived, I'll bring them for the other gang too, but I don't think I'll eat very much of it this time out.  

Anyway, the Clark Bars were a hit, the Blondies less so, and the Wings less than that.

The Cooking Quest continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment