Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Write Everyday Project #20, The Bears...are Mediocre

So here we are.  Three and three with wins over the 3-3 Falcons, 1-5 Panthers, and 1-5 Vikings.  We also have losses to the 4-2 Saints, 6-0 Packers, and 5-1 Lions.  If you're a team who can beat average to bad teams but lose to the good ones, that's pretty much the definition of mediocre, don't you think?

Despite banter to the contrary, I have my doubts that we'll be able to beat the 4-2 Buccaneers in London next week.  It seems more likely that the long flight and short week and a game against a decent team will prove our doom.

Indeed, if we calculate based on W/L, we can predict the rest of the Bears schedule...

Buccaneers 4-2
Eagles 2-4
Lions 5-1
Chargers 4-2
Raiders 4-2
Chiefs 2-3
Broncos 1-4
Seahawks 2-3
Packers 6-0
Vikings 1-5

So, that would be wins against the Eagles, Chiefs, Broncos, Seahawks, and Vikings, with losses to the Bucs, Lions, Chargers, Raiders, and Packers.  That gives us a perfectly mediocre 8-8 season.

Which is the worst possible outcome.  If the Bears were going to be truly wretched, I could stop watching and start looking forward to high draft picks in June.  On the other hand, if they were dominant and good, I could look forward to watching them win.  But middle of the road means you want to watch since maybe they can turn it around like they did last season, but in my heart of hearts I have very little hope.

So I'll watch, and I'll gripe, and, if I'm right in the end, I'll say "I told you so."

No comments:

Post a Comment